The Expat Kids Club offers individual sessions on a case-by-case basis to expatriate children from ages 4-18 years.
We incorporate the latest evidence-based interventions to create custom made treatment programs for each individual child, depending on their unique needs. Some of the methods we use include, but not limited to:
• Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy
• Play therapy
• Humanistic approaches
• Mindfulness-Based interventions
Kids have many pieces of their personality. In order to help them connect, it is vital that parents are involved in the process. Therefore initial sessions are held solely with parents as an opportunity to discuss the child’s developmental history, what the current issues/concerns are, and expectations for intervention. In addition, parents are able to ask any questions and get a feel for how I work.
From there the first child intake session takes place in which the child is introduced to me/my office (and sometimes my dog!) and my working style, learns about my confidentiality policy* and our working relationship begins. We almost always spend time in initial sessions talking about lifestyle aspects of being an expat, or “Third Culture Kid.” Intervention goals are generally made concrete around session # 2 or 3. Throughout the process, parents are kept in the loop through debriefing and meeting in-person when necessary (to discuss progress and how to continue to move forward). When relevant, contact with schools and other medical professionals, such as psychiatrists and/or general practitioners are maintained.
*Confidentiality is paramount to the therapeutic process. All parents are required to sign The Expat Kids Club’s Terms & Conditions agreement with details our strict confidentiality policy.
The Expat Kids Club rate (as from August 1, 2017) is €110 euros per hour (exclusive BTW).
The price for each 1-hour session includes the following:
• Preparation for session
• Post-session write up & debriefing to parents when relevant
• Phone consultation by appointment (15 min., max 1x week)
Correspondence that exceeds 15 minutes/1x per week will be charged per hourly rate. School/home visitations, consultation with other professionals working on the particular client case ( (via Skype, phone or in-person), and/or parent meetings (via Skype, phone or in-person) are charged per hourly rate. Click here to schedule an appointment.
Typical challenges that are addressed at the Expat Kids Club include:
• adjustment to new circumstances
• dealing with intercultural obstacles
• overcoming social anxiety and insecurities relating to identity
• social skills and making new friends
• “fitting in” in a new environment, finding a “sense-of-self”
• dealing with school anxiety/refusal
• addressing communication blockages within the family
• aiding in developmental-milestone delays (i.e., toilet-training, sleeping problems, etc.) and expressing unresolved grief that is a result of relocation.
The Expat Kids Club’s clients are mobile and global! Therefore our practice offers video-conference appointments on a case-by-case basis for clients who prefer to do so, and/or for clients that are not living in the Amsterdam vicinity. Online sessions can be scheduled outside of office hours to accommodate time zone differences. Click here to book an online meeting.